Regular brushing and flossing can help get rid of bacteria and food stuck in the teeth, but they cannot always get into the nooks and crannies of the teeth. Children are primarily incapable of taking care of their teeth on their own. To solve this problem and prevent decay, cavities, and tooth loss, dental sealants were developed.
At Blossom Dental Wellness in the Sacramento area, California, Dr. Novan Nguyen is committed to protecting patients' teeth and providing the right preventative care solutions to patients of all age groups.
What Are Dental Sealants?
A dental sealant is a thin, plastic coating usually placed on the chewing surface of the back teeth, namely the premolars and molars, to protect them from decay and dental cavity. The sealant bonds onto the tooth and form a protective shield over the tooth's enamel.
What Are the Uses of Dental Sealants?
- They protect the teeth and prevent tooth decay.
- They fill up minor grooves and pits of the teeth that are hard to clean.
- They restrict food from getting stuck in between the teeth.
- They help to cut costs and prevent you from frequent dental visits.
What Is the Dental Sealants Procedure?
The dental sealant process is simple, painless, and quick. First, the nooks and crannies of the teeth to be sealed are thoroughly cleaned. The teeth are then dried and kept dry using an absorbent wrap.
An acid solution is applied to the chewing surfaces of the teeth. This makes the surface rough and helps the sealant bond more easily to them. The solution is then rinsed off and the teeth are dried. The dental sealants are then applied directly to the roughened tooth surface, allowing it to bond to the tooth. It is then hardened using special dental devices.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Sealants?
The benefits of dental sealants are as follows:
- They are easy to apply and bond quickly, making the process fast.
- They produce immediate results after application.
- They shield the nooks and crannies of the teeth from food particles.
- They are more affordable and effective in the prevention of tooth decay and dental cavities.
- They have the natural color of the teeth and are therefore invisible.
- They protect the aesthetic look of your teeth.
- They are durable and can last long under the force of normal chewing.
- It could take years before you’ll need a reapplication.
- Both children and adults can use sealants to fight tooth decay.
Dr. Novan Nguyen can help provide solutions that will improve your oral health while transforming your smile. Call us at 916-422-3991 to schedule your consultation and know more about sealants.